Monday, May 30, 2016

Archaic English in Songs of Innocence, William Blake

A DREAM

Once a dream did weave a shade
O’er my angel-guarded bed,
That an emmet lost its way
Where on grass methought I lay.

Troubled, wildered, and forlorn,
Dark, benighted, travel-worn,
Over many a tangle spray,
All heart-broke, I heard her say:

"Oh my children! do they cry,
Do they hear their father sigh?
Now they look abroad to see,
Now return and weep for me."

Pitying, I dropped a tear:
But I saw a glow-worm near,
Who replied, "What wailing wight 
Calls the watchman of the night?

"I am set to light the ground,
While the beetle goes his round:
Follow now the beetle’s hum;
Little wanderer, hie thee home!"


emmet (ˈɛmɪt )
noun
(British) an archaic or dialect word for ant
methinks (mɪˈθɪŋks ) or methinketh (mɪˈθɪŋkɪθ):
verb
Word forms: past tense methought
(transitive; takes a clause as object) (archaic) it seems to me

wight (waɪt ):
noun
(archaic) a human being

hie (haɪ ): 
verb
Word forms: hies, hieing, hying, hied
(archaic or poetic) to hurry; hasten; speed

this one is not archaic but I like it, so...
forlorn (fəˈlɔːn ):
adjective
1. miserable, wretched, or cheerless; desolate
2. deserted; forsaken
3. (postpositive) foll by of destitute; bereft ⇒ forlorn of hope

http://www.collinsdictionary.com/


No comments:

Post a Comment